The challenge for many of us when we are asked to describe our ambition is that we either don’t know, or we can only describe what we think it ‘should’ be rather than what it really means to us. Some people are not even sure they have ambition.
We have put together the following prompts and questions to help you think more about what ambition means to you (you can also download them as your personal ambition worksheet)
- You and your ambition: write down as many words as possible that come to mind when you think about ambition. Now look at your list and do the following:
a. Ring all the words that you feel are negatively toned in red
b. Ring all the words that are positively toned in blue
c. Put a tick next to those words you relate to and genuinely reflect how you define ambitionAsk yourself, ‘what is my purpose.’ How does this relate to what you have written about ambition? Do the two align or do they seem very different? How might you get them more aligned if there is a big difference?
- Your qualities: Write down as many of your positive qualities as you can. If you get stuck ask colleagues, friends and families for ideas. Notice how you respond when you are given positive feedback or compliments
- Interests and abilities: List your interest and abilities, the things that really absorb or excite you. Which of these do you use in your work?
- Living examples: Think of someone you respect and admire, how would you define their ambition? How have they gone about moving toward their ambition? If you’re not sure why not try asking them?
- Your ambition: Write a sentence or short paragraph that describes your ambition. What steps will you now take to fulfil your ambition?
If you are interested in our forthcoming topics, tools and guidance please join our Alchemy community by filling in your e-mail address on the About page. As a thank you we would be happy to offer you a 10% discount on any of our Alchemy@Play workshops.